Sewing

Game Controller Pajama Pants [Own pattern]

My boyfriend’s birthday was coming up and I wanted to make him a nice pair of lounge pants when I found the next fabric while shopping for something else (story of my life):

ControllerPajama_00

How cute is that, little controllers! The fabric brand is Stenzo and I bought it on stoffenkraam.nl but it has sadly sold out. They also had a yellow variety but this nice steel blue really spoke to me.

dav

I made a pattern out of an old pair of pajama pants that were at least ten years old and worn completely thin in the crotch, as it goes! I cut up the old pants and traced them on some pattern paper. This is now the second pair of pants I am making from this pattern, the first one being a pair of red flannel pajama pants for Christmas.

dav

I got 2 meters of the fabric so I have some extra, but 1.75 meter was more than enough for the pants. I did cut a 5cm hem allowance on the legs to make sure it was long enough.

dav

I used seam tape for stretchy fabrics to stabilize the pocket entrances. This step really elevates your project from looking home made to more professional!

dav

Adding all seam tape and pockets, then serging the pockets on their appropriate place on the front and back panels.

dav

Then I sewed one back and one front panel together in the inseam as well as the side seam, taking the pockets with me in one go. This is actually quite difficult to do on a serger but I just tried my best, knowing I would get back to the pocket entrance later to fix everything nicely.

dav

So here is what I always do for pockets. I stitch from the side seam of the leg up, over the pocket opening for 5-6 cm (blue mark). This way no phones will fall out of those pockets!

dav

The pockets are different from the usual side seal pockets as these are flush with the top of the front panel. I basted it in place.

dav

I put one leg in the other and pinned and serged the crotch seam.

dav

I stitched the top and bottom of the short edge of the waistband – this is the hole for the elastic. I prefer putting it in this way if I use the serger so I can serge the waistband to the pants in one go. On a normal sewing machine you would just leave a hole while sewing the band to the pants, but with a serger I felt like it would look messy.

dav

Folding the waistband in half lengthwise, wrong sides facing. A quick press later and they were ready to be attached.

dav

Then I serged the waistband to the panels, also inserting my clothing tab from Nominette.be

dav

I topstiched the seam allowance down using twin needles. Now I would normally not recommend this as it will warp the waistband, but I was adding elastic anyway so it wouldn’t be that obvious.

I also hemmed the pants using twin needles, making a 2.5cm single fold hem.

dav

The topstiching makes it look like it was sewn with a coverlock!

dav

Then I put in some 4cm wide elastic using a safety pin. Past!Mardie actually wrote down the dimensions of the elastic I used for the previous pants, go me!

dav

The finished gift! It looks really cute and the fabric is very relaxed as it is a cotton jersey of 95% cotton and 5% elastic. This will be a pair of pajama pants that will be comfortable to wear even in summer.

dav

A tip to prevent the elastic from shifting around: I topstitch them to the waistband in the side seams.

dav

I gifted the pants on the evening of my BF’s birthday and he put them on immediately, yay! And this time they were more than long enough, I might even go back and turn the hem up by 1-2cm…

Thanks again for reading!

~ Mardie

Advertenties

Geef een reactie

Vul je gegevens in of klik op een icoon om in te loggen.

WordPress.com logo

Je reageert onder je WordPress.com account. Log uit /  Bijwerken )

Google photo

Je reageert onder je Google account. Log uit /  Bijwerken )

Twitter-afbeelding

Je reageert onder je Twitter account. Log uit /  Bijwerken )

Facebook foto

Je reageert onder je Facebook account. Log uit /  Bijwerken )

Verbinden met %s